Monday, September 14, 2015

Grow your passion into a business- How to love your life and work



Are you working the typical 9-5 job, trading hours for dollars in a career that is less than fulfilling, or maybe even one that you dread going to every day? Are you feeling burnt out and stuck doing what you are doing because you fear not being able to provide for yourself and family by branching out and doing your own thing? Maybe starting your own business has been on your mind, but you can't seem to wrap your mind around how you would do it or make it work.

Maybe there is something you have always been a natural at, something that when you are immersed in it, time stands still, and you are in your bliss. What is that thing that you love to do? That you would do for free because you love it so much- that you could turn into a business?

99% of the time, the biggest obstacle that stops people from taking the risk and going for it when it comes to becoming self-employed is FEAR.

I have worked with many women struggling with the day-to-day realities of being in a job that is uninspiring -and at worst, one that they totally hate going going to every day. We work through a lot of the limiting beliefs and fear based thoughts that are stopping them from taking the risk and going for their dreams in their lives.

As a mother of 3, my biggest motivation for becoming self- employed, aside from answering my calling and purpose to serve and help others improve their lives, was to work my own hours. Those days of working based on an employers schedule, trying to find childcare for my kids, and the guilt of missing out on family dinners, time with my kids I can never get back, school events, and having to schedule time off (and worry I might not get it and have to miss out on something) were highly stressful times for me and my family, and that is aside from the fact I never loved any of those jobs, but felt I had no other choice at the time. For me, it came down to learning how to I create a career that I love, that is in alignment with who I am, my values, and passions, AND balance motherhood while taking good care of myself. As challenging as it has been to get to where I am today while parenting young kids, I have always known in my heart that I will never regret anything I have done to ensure I am present with my children, but I likely would regret time lost with them - and that is a huge motivator for me.

That was until I decided to take the plunge in 2010, and pursue my vision to become self-employed as a Holistic Therapist. The day I sent in my student loan documents was a day mixed with intense fear, and excitement about this new chapter. I just knew in my heart that what I wanted to do more than anything, was to help improve the lives of others, while earning an income in doing so. I am passionate about personal growth, health and healing, and love to teach and guide others along the path to self- reliance and empowerment in all areas of their lives. When I am assisting another I feel like time stands still. It doesn't feel like work, but comes naturally to me. I  (most times) don't feel stressed out about going to work, I schedule my own hours, take time off as I decide, and make my own rules. I am home for my kids every day after school, as I only work during school hours, and I never miss an important event. I love the creative aspect of my work, and love that I can grow along with my business.

For sure,  their was intense fear, and self-doubt about how I will make it, "what if's" were plentiful, but something deep within me knew this was the path I had to take no matter how challenging it might be. That going back to a minimum wage job or trying to work around family and accommodate and employer was not for me.

I'll be honest, starting your own business is not all roses, and requires huge amounts of dedication and tenacity, hard work and refusal to give up when it gets tough.  You will have days you want to give up and question why you wanted to be your own boss in the first place. You have to know your why so strongly and so clearly, that it is your lighthouse in your dark moments of doubt, stress and panic.

Your "why" is what will get you through those hard days and rough patches. I will say that being an entrepreneur is certainly not for everyone. It depends on the person, and each individual situation, I am not going to tell you that this is correct for you or your family, that is for you to decide. It is not for the faint of heart that is for sure!

  My "why" is that I don't want someone else raising my children while I go to work for someone else. I want to work my own hours, live by my own rules, and do something meaningful with my life that serves others while it grows me. I want to live my life in a way that my passions are my work, and my work is my passion. That is essential for me.

The truth is that no matter who you are, and what you decide you want to do, to be successful over time- you have to continually grow yourself to grow your business. This has been a huge revelation for me. There are always opportunities to grow and learn from the tough times if we can see all obstacles as a path to expand and refine our tool to be better at what we do.

Taking the plunge into becoming an entrepreneur and riding the waves of ups and downs has changed me as a person, and I have grown in ways I never would have had I not followed my inner-calling.

On this path, it is also essential to surround yourself with other successful people who are also building their dream business, as well as seek out mentors and experts along the way to advise you and guide you along the way. This is essential. It wasn't until I started investing in business coaching and online business training programs, joining private Facebook groups to connect with other women building their own businesses, reading books about business, and networking with other like-minded entrepreneurs, that I really started to see real results in my business growth. It is so amazing that we have endless opportunities available to us through all of the wonderful online programs at our fingertips today. With the click of a button we can enroll in just about any online course or program from anywhere in the world - and learn right from our laptop at our own convenience.

If you are considering taking the plunge into starting your own business, or even if you have already begun but you are still unsure about whether this is the right thing for you, the Love Your Work Ignite Your Life is open for registration today! If you are ready to get serious about exploring the endless possibilities to create your dream life, which includes your dream career, this would be the perfect place to begin.

Being your own boss can be one of the most challenging yet rewarding ventures you will ever embark on, kind of like parenthood - we learn as we go, through the good times and stressful times, and times when we feel so joyous and fulfilled that we can sit back and say to ourselves, "this has been so worth it to get here" and really mean it.

Leanne Oaten
Holistic Therapist- R.P.C
leanneoaten.com




No comments:

Post a Comment