Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Green Smoothies vs green juice 101~ How to begin when you fear what it will taste like!


Green Smoothies vs. Green juice

What's the difference, and why in the world would you want to drink your greens?


If you are seeing advice to drink green smoothies and green juice everywhere you go, and wonder what all the hype is about and ask "why on earth would I want to drink my greens?" this article should shed some light on that for you. I used to be someone who revolted at the idea of adding kale or spinach to my smoothies, and the thought of drinking green juice was not at all appealing.... that is, until I started actually doing it, and seeing the difference in how I felt! 
After a time of getting into the habit of a daily green juice and a green smoothie, my body actually craves them now! Seriously. I love the taste and how drinking them makes me feel. I have more energy, and generally more get-up-and go!

Green leafy veggies are a powerhouse of nutrients which are essential to our health and vitality. I won't go into the break down of what those are too much, other than to say they are loaded with vitamin C, iron, and chlorophyll among many other vitamins/minerals. But simply, they are just plain great for your whole body, mind and soul. 

The main difference between juicing and blending 
is the fiber content. 

Freshly juiced veggies are mainly just the nutrients of what you are juicing, in it's purest form. The nutrients absorb almost instantly after being consumed, because there is no fiber in the juice. This is the reason why juicing too many fruits is not  a great idea, as it causes a spike in your blood sugar- because the fiber is missing. Stick to using low glycemic veggies and loads of greens!
Green smoothies are the foods in their whole form, with all the fiber in tact,  which fills you up longer. It takes longer to digest than juice, and with protein added, is more like a meal replacement- if you add the right ingredients!

So here is my favorite green smoothie go-to recipe:

1) Greens~ Add the greens to the bottom of the blender first. My recommendation is a Vitamix blender, but I am sure any decent blender will do the trick!
If you are just beginning try slowly increasing the greens gradually over a few days or a week. Keep in mind, that green smoothies are high in fiber and the greens are detoxifying so if you are new to adding more greens into your diet- go easy until your system adjusts! If you are not used to the added fiber it can cause some discomfort of the digestion system at first. Work your way up to filling the blender 1/2 full of greens, or more! (spinach, kale, Swiss chard)

2) Fruit~ Add 1 cup of  frozen fruit of your choice (berries, mango, peaches etc..). I usually throw in 1/2 a frozen banana as it adds a nicer texture to the end result. A little trick for a creamier smoothie is to freeze halved bananas in a container or freezer bag, then they are ready to pop in whenever you need one! Makes all the difference in the texture, and masks the greens flavor.

3) Plant based milk~ 1 cup of any plant based milk (almond, coconut, soy, rice etc) or another delicious option- which adds a bit of sweetness- is Coconut water. The added bonus with using coconut water, is it adds electrolytes- which is perfect for re-hydrating after a workout!

4) Healthy fats~ This is optional, but I like to add a teaspoon of Extra virgin coconut oil. It makes it taste great, and keeps me fuller longer. You could use any plant based oil such as flax, hemp or Udo's brand oil blend.

5) Protein~ There are so many different brands and types available based on your personal preference and dietary choices, I encourage you to find one that is right for you. I do not tolerate whey, but if you do fine with it, this is a great option. I have tried all sorts of vegan varieties  and while some are totally intolerable- and resemble dirt- my favorite Vegan, plant based ones are Vega Sport, Vega One and Warrior BlendWhat I like about the Sunwarrior brand is that it is minimally processed and raw.

Another tip: Add the protein powder last, after you have blended all the other ingredients, and blend the powder in on low until it is well incorporated- no need to blend the powders too much!

So there you have it! Now go get your greens on!

~Leanne













No comments:

Post a Comment