Friday, June 14, 2013

A holistic approach to health, happiness and well-being


Creating a balanced life for health and happiness 



As a health and wellness enthusiast, I have an ingrained desire to continually develop knowledge and understanding about living well, and I have made it my mission to make sure I am current with the latest studies, and read the newest books, and am always open to trying different approaches to creating abundant health. I used to believe that true health was achieved by eating healthy foods, and exercising regularly, until I learned to expand my approach to health on all levels. 

To have more balance in your life, attending to your mental, emotional, physical and spiritual health is essential.




A holistic approach to wellness is creating more balance in your life. A balanced life is at the center of whole being healing.

 While good nutrition and exercise are essential to a balanced healthy lifestyle, achieving and maintaining good health goes way beyond what we put into our mouths. Every single day, I strive to be my best self not only physically, but mentally, emotionally, and spiritually as well. Read Are you a Soul~woman? 

To create more balance in our lives, we must take care to balance our busy days with time for stillness, less healthy food choices with more healthful whole foods from the earth, exercise with relaxation and stillness, t.v/media time with meditation, and time with others with time for solitude, and learn to manage our stress effectively.  We must also make time to attend to, and care for, our most meaningful relationships with others.

Our body, mind, and spirit needs a balance of all of these things to be healthy and happy, and creating this balance in our lives is a fine art, something to practice not perfect. 

It takes conscious intention, attention, and awareness to maintain this balance in our lives. We have to learn to say no-with kindness, learn to speak our truth when we need to, make time for ourselves, make time for fun and friends, manage our stress levels, and doing the things we love to do. Work through your forgiveness of others, and let go of the past and things that weigh you down. We all have our 'stuff', we have all been hurt or perhaps treated badly by others, but when we hang on to these experiences, and our anger, we are only poisoning ourselves.

Be vulnerable, be true and authentic and show the world the real you, because you are only betraying yourself by not letting the real you shine through. Pursue your passions, surround yourself with others who inspire you, and bring out the best in you, and avoid (when possible) time with people that weigh you down. If you are struggling with a chronic health issue, are trying to lose unhealthy weight, or are depressed and unhappy with your life, it is essential to look at the whole picture because lasting health and true healing on any level, can not be fully achieved when some aspects are being neglected.

Get into the habit of checking in regularly throughout the day, and reassess things often as our needs and priorities change based on what is happening in our life.


Ask yourself "what do I most need to do right now (or at this phase of my life) to nourish myself more? 

This could be go for a walk, a hot bath, doing some yoga, making tea and reading a book, calling a friend, going for a massage, saying no to an invitation when what you most need is a quiet night in.

.
This is always a work in process, and is something that is always front and center for me personally, because I know if I do not prioritize creating balance, my health, happiness and well-being suffers.

I am happy to be assisting others in doing the same in their lives, and I couldn't love my job and what I do more because it is an extension of how I live my life, teaching what I wholeheartedly believe in, and utilizes my deepest passions. I have the privilege to work with people, assisting them on their journey to betterment, and I am in true alignment with my purpose and in doing work that has meaning to me. 

I realize this may seem daunting to some of you, and you may be wondering how you will possibly fit all of this into your hectic, busy lifestyle, but I am here to tell you, that if you truly want to be healthy, and happy, you will do whatever it takes to get there...when you are ready to change. It takes time, and dedication to do this deep inner work, soul~searching and building self~ awareness, and it is not for the faint at heart. If it was easy everyone would do it!

It takes strength, consistency and determination to have the resolve to do whatever it takes to be happy, healthy and whole.

To not just settle with life as it is, but to do whatever is in our power to make things better, to take action and stop being a victim of our own lives. If you are unhappy about something, change it if you can, if you can't then change your perception and attitude. We only have control over our selves and our own actions. What we choose to eat, drink, speak and think is always within our power to control, and we are the creator of our own lives. So what changes are you willing to make to bring a more balanced, holistic approach into your days?

If you are struggling to find some balance, suffer with anxiety, chronic stress, depression, emotional eating and want to improve your life, please feel free to connect with me. I'd love to help!

www.leanneoaten.com

Leanne Oaten
Rgistered Holistic Counsellor, R.P.C

No comments:

Post a Comment