Sunday, June 8, 2014

Sugar-free breakfast options

After posting Sugar-free for 30 days I have had enquiries about what I am eating, and about some sugar-free breakfast options, so I will address this here so you can get started on your sugar free challenge :)

 Breakfast is indeed the toughest meal of the day to avoid starchy carbs, and sugars, but it is doable with a little time and planning. While I am not anti-carb, and do not spend too much energy monitoring how many carbs I eat, I do make sure they are high quality, in the form of whole grains (rice, quinoa, steel cut oats) and if I eat bread, I favor Ezekiel live grain sprouted bread (you will find in the freezer section in health food stores), or alternatively Silver Hills Sprouted bread is a good one too. So, to get you started here are some ideas. You could start here Sweet ways to use quinoa but of course omit any sugar in the recipes. The quinoa bars are probably sweet enough with the dates in them, and you could add raisins to any hot cereal for sweetness.

1) Smoothies are a perfect go-to when you don't have a lot of time. Use a glass mason jar, and drill a hole in the lid for a straw and you have a smoothie-to-go cup! Take it with you on the way out the door. Ingredients I play around with in my smoothies are: organic frozen fruits of various kinds, coconut water, spinach, hemp/chia seeds, bananas, and dark fair trade cocoa powder, and vegan protein powder. My favorite is Warrior Blend raw protein powder, but just read labels to make sure they are sugar-free!
Use a combo of 1 cup total fruit, throw in greens if using, and add liquid to desired thickness, a few drops of Stevia (alcohol free) and blend away! I love my Vitamix, but any blender will do the trick.

2) Whole grain toast topped with natural nut butter with no added crap like sugar and junky oils. It should only have the nut and it's natural oils on the ingredient label, sometimes salt, but that is it! Watch for sugar, read labels! Top with banana and cinnamon sprinkled on top. Pair with a grapefruit, and you have a wholesome, well rounded breakfast to get you through the morning!

3) As I said above, any hot cereal with no added sugar is fine too.

4) If you enjoy eggs, an egg omelette with veggies is a good option.

One additional tip to offer you: be sure to include 10-15 grams of protein in your breakfast meal to keep blood sugar steady. This will assist you greatly in reducing sugar crashes and cravings. Include a little high quality protein into all meals and snacks- this is a rule of thumb I live by always.

I hope this helps get you started, and I promise you, if you stick to this no- sugar thing, you WILL feel amazing in so many ways! So if you feel called to partake on this journey, you will be rewarded with looking and feeling amazing!

If you need support, I can answer any questions on my Facebook page. Or book a session with me to assist you in healing any emotional connection or addiction to food.

Sugar free, and loving it so far! :)
Leanne
www.soulworkcounselling.com


No comments:

Post a Comment