Friday, August 2, 2013

The perfect "diet" for YOU


I got your attention with the title didn't I? What I am about to share with you though, is probably not what you were expecting. If you are reading this, I can safely guess that it is because- in one way or another- you are searching, and maybe have been for a long while, to find the "perfect diet" to improve your health, or lose weight.

I have been there. I used to have a different stack of fad diet and nutrition program books beside my bed at all times. I too, was searching for the "perfect diet" the "perfect plan" to help me find the answers to my health issues, and lose extra weight- but now, looking back, I can say that none of these books or "experts" were able to give me this perfect plan, because nobody knows my body the way that I do!

Personal growth, and books written about getting healthy are invaluable. I am always reading something, and have a thirst for learning and expanding my awareness. If I am working on some area of my own personal development, or want to understand something better, I will find a book on that subject to offer me some new insights. If you are looking to improve in some area of your life, books are one way to help you broaden your knowledge, and understanding. But one thing I would like to share with you that I believe has been an important lesson for me:

I have learned to take the information that resonates with me and makes sense with where I intend to go, and discard the rest. No matter who says it, it has to be in alignment with what I believe to be true.

So, with that said, there is one exception that I believe we must keep in mind when reading and Googling to find answers:

No matter what you hear or what you read, even from the so called "experts", nobody can tell you what is the right way-for you to eat. We are all winging it. Only YOU are the expert of your own body!

I believe that avoiding too much processed, fake foods, animal foods, sugar, and refined white flours is a good place to begin. Making sure to avoid toxic fats, and including healthful ones like virgin coconut oil, olive, flax, hemp oils are also important.

While I can not call myself a "Vegan", I feel best on a mostly vegan diet, with the exception of a little free range chicken or wild salmon 1-2 times per week. I don't eat eggs, or dairy products, and am continually working to reduce processed, refined foods in my diet, however; I also believe to avoid these things exclusively takes a lot of joy out of eating and living. How many parties or gatherings I have been to where there was nothing I could eat, and had to bring my own food. That is no fun at all!

I love to follow Kris Carr, she is a Vegan and emphasizes the importance of a diet focused mostly on plants, and raw fruits and veggies, but her approach leaves some room for flexibility, and a reasonable amount of convenience foods like soba noodles, rice crackers, and vegan protein powder and plant milk substitutes.

As I said though, this is what feels best for my body, and my beliefs are my own. I have always been drawn to more vegetarian/animal free foods, and it just happens I feel my best when I eat this way. Some people will say they absolutely can not imagine a life without cheese or meat everyday. And if that is working for you, then why mess with what is working?

Strive to learn, continue to grow, refine and change what you are eating, have fun with trying new foods or trying new recipes- because as it has been said, "You are what you eat", so it goes without saying, eat well to live well. But for me, trying to follow an extremely restrictive eating style does not work. I do know that when I eat crappy foods, I feel...well...crappy. So, I avoid eating foods that make me feel awful for the simple reason I love to feel good, and I love myself enough to fuel my body with good food, that makes me feel at my best. I encourage you to continue to refine and play around with your eating style until you find the "perfect diet" for you!

I welcome your comments below, feel free to share your experiences with what is working well for you!

Live well,

Leanne Oaten
Holistic Counsellor, R.P.Cc, Wellness Leader
www.soulworkcounselling.com

















No comments:

Post a Comment